Too many of us have an all-or-nothing attitude when it comes to staying fit. We’re too “slammed” at work for the gym, or our kids’ activities are keeping us in the car. These are just some of the common excuses we use to explain our inability to stay active.
There are creative and simple ways that you can stay active even if you’re busy. Here are three options that are recommended by our physical therapists:
Take every opportunity to get more steps
One simple way to stay active even if your life is busy is to get in more steps every day. There are many opportunities out there that would allow you to get more steps. However, many people either aren’t aware of these opportunities, or they simply avoid them.
Getting more steps and increasing your activity level means taking advantage of opportunities like:
- Walking up stairs instead of taking the elevator
- Making separate trips to visit other work departments
- Walking to a cafe or restaurant for lunch.
- Taking a stroll before you eat your brown-bag lunch
- Parking farther away if you need to go to a store
- Using a smaller glass or bottle for your water so you have to walk to the kitchen more often
Consider working from a standing desk
Busy workers can actually find ways to stay active even without leaving their office. One option that can help boost your health and fitness is a standing desk. Many standing desks can convert to a sit-down desk, so you can move from standing to sitting at various times during your workday. A few of the benefits that you could get from a standing desk include:
- Burning more calories — One medical study reveals that standing burns about 50 calories per hour more than sitting.
- Reducing back and neck pain — Sitting hunched over a computer all day can often cause back and neck pain. A standing desk can help reduce these types of pain. Researchers report that workers who stand for slightly more than one hour a day reduced their back and neck pain by 54%.
Get help from a physical therapist
The most obvious way physical therapy helps you stay active is by addressing the aches and pains. But many physical therapy sessions are a workout in themselves, and this fact can help you meet your weekly cardio and/or strength-building goals.
Your physical therapist is also a great resource for giving you tips on tweaking your daily habits. They can go over what a normal day looks like for you and offer advice on how to make it a more active one. If chronic pain is an issue, your physical therapist can show you specific moves that minimize your physical challenges. They can even help you find effective personal training that fits your needs.
Back in Motion Physical Therapy can help you find ways to stay active
Need help finding ways to stay active? Our physical therapy specialists at Back in Motion Physical Therapy are ready and willing to help you. We offer free screenings that can pinpoint issues that make staying active difficult, such as muscle imbalances. Additionally, our team can build you a personalized physical therapy plan designed to address issues that are reducing your ability to be active.
Don’t have the time to come to an in-person therapy session? No problem! Our team can save you the time it takes to drive to our therapy clinics. This is possible thanks to the virtual care and at-home therapy appointments we offer. Even better, you can save the time it would take to get a doctor’s referral because we don’t require that you have one.
Take the next step to get our help boosting your fitness. Contact us today for more information about our helpful therapy services or to schedule an initial appointment.