The most important thing you can do today is to go for a walk. It is one of the most functional things that we do on a daily basis.
Getting from point A to point B is not only good for you, but it’s also something we have to do.
Walking also mimics motions that go through the entire spine that is very gentle and easy on the body. So if you are walking with good tall form and good arm swing then you are getting rotation through the whole back and gently mobilizing your joints.
Related: Top 4 Ways to Relieve Back Pain
Form is Important:
- Walk tall and lead with your chest. If you are walking through a doorway the chest should be one of the first things to go through and not your nose.
- Try to avoid carrying things when you are going for a walk, because the natural arm swing is going to help mobilize all those joints and stretch all your muscles.
Benefits from Walking:
- It improves your circulation by simply getting your heart rate up. It’s doing it at a low intensity level so you are not doing high impact. Regular walking can also decrease risk of cardiovascular events by 21%.
- The strengthening component is huge. It helps build your stamina and makes everyday activities easier.
- It’s great for stress relief. Walking allows the muscles to stretch out and the muscles to get good blood supply. It decreases aches and pains and helps to clear our head.
- Walking can help reduce arthritis symptoms.
If you have any questions about starting a walking program please feel free to email me at email@example.com or book your free pain consultation with me at our Gorham Back in Motion Physical Therapy clinic.